Thinking of what to prepare some low-calorie recipes for lunch? I’m sure you will go for healthy lunch recipes, right?
I believe cooking is like creating something sumptuous and beneficial at the same time to your health.
Check these simple recipes of vegetables, pasta, pita and roti for your next meal preparation. They are easy to prepare and low calorie as well.
1. Grilled Veggies
This meal is so good and quick enough to prepare for lunch.
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 red onion
2 yellow squash
12 oz asparagus, trimmed
1 roasted red bell pepper
1 1/2 cup lightly packed arugula, chopped
1 cup mixed baby greens
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1. Whisk the balsamic vinegar, mustard, garlic and rosemary in a medium sized bowl.
2. Gradually add oil while stirring in a faster motion.
3. Heat barbecue or pan to medium high.
4. Brush onion, zucchini, yellow squash, and asparagus using the half of the balsamic dressing.
5. Grill the vegetables until just cooked through, turning occasionally.
6. Allow veggies cool slightly, then cut into small pieces and place in large bowl.
7. Add roasted bell pepper, arugula, and greens.
8. Toss with enough dressing to coat. Makes 4 servings.
Calories per Serving: 194
2. Healthy Lunch Pizza
This version of pizza packs all the flavor of taking out but a little amount of the calories.
1 toasted whole wheat pita
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
1/2 cup grilled chicken breast
1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
garlic and oregano to taste
1. Top 1 toasted whole wheat pita with tomatoes, mozzarella, grilled chicken breast, and chopped sun-dried tomatoes.
2. Sprinkle with minced garlic and oregano
3. Put in the oven until cheese bubbles.
Calories per Serving: 367.8
3. Pasta with Beans
This hearty dish combines filling beans with delicious pasta.
1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 (15 ounces) can beans
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 cups penne pasta
salt to taste
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add onion and then cook until translucent.
2. Add tomatoes and beans. Let it simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta. Cook until al dente then drain.
4. Mix pasta with bean mixture, toss to coat. Makes 4 servings.
Calories per Serving: 286
4. Healthy Roti
Experience the Caribbean with this West Indies inspired dish.
1 tsp olive oil
1 small onion, peeled and sliced
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp each of coriander, cinnamon, and turmeric
1/2 tsp hot sauce
1 cup canned chickpeas
1/4 cup coconut milk
2-3 large roti or wheat flour tortillas
1. Heat olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic.
2. Add the broth, sweet potato, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and turmeric.
3. Cover the pan, stirring often for 15 minutes or until potato is tender. Season the dish with hot sauce.
4. Mix the chickpeas and coconut milk. Bring to a boil.
5. Divide the mixture between two roti shells. Roll to make a wrap.
(Makes 2 to 3 servings)
Calories per Serving: 353
5. Sesame Noodles With Chicken
Harness the flavor of sesame in this Asian inspired dish.
1 bag Japanese buckwheat soba noodles
5 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp honey
2 tsp honey mustard
1 tbsp creamy peanut butter
3/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
1. Cook noodles according to the instruction in the package.
2. Whisk together the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, honey, honey mustard and peanut butter in a large bowl to make a dressing.
3. Boil the chicken. Shred and add to peanut mixture.
4. Add the drained noodles and toss until all ingredients are mixed. Makes 4 servings.
Calories per Serving: 208
Download a free PDF copy of these healthy lunch recipes.
Check these other healthy recipes as well: