Do you always consider to have healthy recipes for dinner? How about preparing some low-calorie recipes for dinner?
We usually eat dinners with our family or friends to catch up or bond with them. Thus, it is important that they are appetizing and nutritious at the same time.
Here are five low-calorie recipes that you might consider cooking for them or just for you to enjoy.
1. Veggie Chili
This hearty chili will please even the carnivores in your house.
1 small onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
3/4 cup chopped celery
3/4 cup dry red wine or water
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 cans (15 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes
2 Vegetable Flavor Bouillon Cubes
1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1. Cook the onion, pepper, celery, wine and garlic in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. Add tomatoes with its juice, water, tomato paste, bouillon, cilantro, chili powder, and cumin. Stir well.
3. Add the beans. Cover the pan and bring to a boil.
4. After 45 minutes, reduce heat to low while stirring occasionally. Makes 6 servings.
Calories per serving: 210
2. Lime Chicken
This Asian inspired dish has added vitamins from the citrus.
3/4 cup Natural Apple Juice
Coconut oil or olive oil
Juice from 1 lime
1 tsp Chicken Flavor Instant Bouillon
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
2 tsp cornstarch
1. In a nonstick pan put enough oil or depending on the pan you will use.
2. Cook the chicken for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and keep it warm.
3. Combine apple juice, lime juice, cornstarch and bouillon in small bowl.
4. Pour the mixture into the skillet, stirring occasionally until it thickens.
5. Pour the sauce over chicken before serving. Makes 4 servings.
3. Broccoli And Shrimp
This is an Asian favorite but transformed into a quick and healthy dinner.
2/3 cup chicken broth
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tbsp minced garlic, divided
3 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 pound raw shrimp (21-25 pieces per pound), peeled and deveined
1/4-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp salt, divided
4 cups broccoli florets
2/3 cup water
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
1 tsp lemon juice
freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Heat the 1-1/2 tsp oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat.
2. Add half of the garlic and crushed red pepper. Stir occasionally.
3. Add the shrimp and sauté for about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
4. Add the remaining oil to the pan. Add broccoli and a pinch of salt then sauté for a minute.
5. Add water and cook for 3 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender. Transfer to the bowl with shrimp.
6. Combine chicken broth, cornstarch and the remaining garlic in a bowl. Whisk until smooth.
7. Pour the chicken stock mixture to the pan and cook over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Keep on stirring until it thickens.
8. Then add basil and season with lemon juice and pepper. Add also the shrimp and broccoli.
9. Serve with lemon wedges. Makes 4 servings.
Calories per Serving: 178
4. Chicken with Mushroom and Scallion
Chicken is versatile for any recipe. Boneless and skinless chicken breast is a healthy protein.
1 tbsp sesame oil
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
1 2-inch piece ginger, peeled and sliced
4 cups water
4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and caps thinly sliced
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4 -inch cubes
1 small bunch scallions, sliced, whites and greens separated
1. Heat the sesame oil over medium heat in a large pot.
2. Add the whites of scallion and garlic. Keep on stirring for a minute.
3. Add the mushrooms and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
4. Pour the water into the pot. Add soy sauce and ginger. Let it simmer for 2 minutes.
5. Put the chicken in the broth. Reduce heat to low.
6. Cover and poach until the chicken is just cooked through, about 7 minutes.
7. Transfer the chicken evenly to 4 bowls. Pour broth over the chicken.
8. Garnish with the greens of the scallions. Makes 4 serving.
Calories per Serving: 190
5. Grilled Eggplant & Portobello Sandwich
This vegetarian option is delicious and satisfying. It will be a crowd pleaser.
1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
canola or olive oil cooking spray
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 small clove garlic, chopped
2 cups arugula, or spinach, stemmed and chopped if large
8 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread, lightly grilled or toasted
1 medium eggplant (about 1 pound), sliced into half inch rounds
2 large Portobello mushroom caps, gills removed
1 large tomato, sliced
1. Preheat grill to medium-high.
2. Mash garlic into a paste on a cutting board with the back of a spoon.
3. Combine with mayonnaise and lemon juice in a small bowl. Set aside.
4. Spray both sides of eggplant rounds and mushroom caps with cooking spray and season with salt and pepper.
5. Grill the vegetables until tender and browned on both sides.
6. When cool enough to handle, slice the mushrooms.
7. Spread 1 1/2 teaspoons of the garlic mayonnaise on each piece of bread.
8. Layer the eggplant, mushrooms, arugula (or spinach) and tomato slices onto 4 slices of bread.
9. Top the remaining bread. Makes 4 servings.
Calories per Serving: 209
Try these all good recipes. They are your healthy options to stay fit and healthy.
Download your free PDF copy of dinner recipes.
Images: pixabay.com and gettyimages.com