How do you prepare asparagus for your meal? As we know, asparagus uses the shoots of the plant eaten before the blossoms develop. They are a good source of Vitamins A, K, C and E, Folate and Chromium.
There are still many nutrients that Asparagus can bring to your table. For now here are 8recipes for you to try to prepare for your meals.
6 ounces uncooked linguine
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons butter
1/2 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 tablespoons white wine or chicken broth
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1. Cook linguine according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, in a nonstick skillet, saute the onion and garlic in oil and butter until tender.
3. Add asparagus; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until crisp-tender.
4. Add wine or broth; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until liquid are reduced. Remove from the heat.
5. Drain linguine; add to asparagus mixture.
6. Add remaining ingredients; toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Asparagus Cheese Soup
2 cups water, divided
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
3/4 pound fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
4 slices process American cheese, diced
1 bacon strip, cooked and crumbled
1. In a small skillet, combine 1 cup water, bouillon, seasoned salt, lemon-pepper and white pepper.
2. Add asparagus. Bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until asparagus are tender.
4. Remove asparagus; cool slightly.
5. Cut off several asparagus tips and set aside.
6. Cut remaining asparagus into larger pieces.
7. Place asparagus pieces and cooking liquid in a blender or food processor; cover and process until smooth.
8. In a saucepan, combine asparagus mixture and remaining water; heat through.
9. Reduce heat; stir in cheese just until melted.
10. Garnish with bacon bits and reserved asparagus tips.
Grilled Asparagus with Roasted Garlic Toast
1 medium head garlic, unpeeled
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons minced shallot
1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 1/2 pounds thick-stemmed asparagus
4 slices sourdough bread
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Coat the head of garlic with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, and pepper.
3. Place on a baking sheet, and roast 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown.
4. Once the garlic is roasted, cut the head in half horizontally, exposing all the cloves.
5. Squeeze both halves into a bowl, discarding any skin.
6. Whisk in 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
7. While the garlic is roasting, place the minced shallot in a bowl with the balsamic and red wine vinegar for about 30 minutes to let the flavors blend.
8. Whisk in remaining olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
9. Place asparagus spears in the mixture until ready to grill.
10. Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
11. Place asparagus in a large skillet or directly on the grill.
12. Grill the asparagus, turning over once, until tender, about 10 minutes.
13. While asparagus is grilling, spread the roasted garlic mixture on the bread.
14. Grill bread until toasted. Arrange the bread and asparagus on a plate, and drizzle with the remaining shallot and vinegar mixture.
1 bunch asparagus spears
1 teaspoon butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups water
1. Place water in the bottom half of a steamer pan set.
2. Add salt and butter, and bring to a boil.
3. Trim the dry ends off of the asparagus.
4. If the spears are thick, peel them lightly with a vegetable peeler.
5. Place them in the top half of the steamer pan set.
6. Steam for 5 to 10 minutes depending on the thickness of the asparagus or until asparagus is tender.
2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
1 1/2 pounds salmon fillets
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
1 tablespoon minced green onion
1 tablespoon minced chives
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms,
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup sliced green onions
2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine
1 teaspoon olive or canola oil
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 cup 2% milk
1 tablespoon minced chives
1. In a large skillet, bring 1/2 inch of water to a boil; add asparagus.
2. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 minutes.
3. Drain and immediately place asparagus in ice water; drain and pat dry.
4. Cut salmon widthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
5. To form one bundle, place three to four slices cut side down, overlapping edges slightly.
6. Wrap around five to six asparagus spears. Secure with toothpicks.Repeat for remaining bundles.
7. In a large skillet, bring 1-1/2 cups water, wine or broth, onion, chives, salt and peppercorns to a boil. Using a spatula, carefully add bundles.
8. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 7-8 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
9. Meanwhile, for sauce, in a skillet, saute mushrooms and green onions in butter and oil until tender.
10. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk.
11. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add chives. Serve over bundles.
Shrimp and Asparagus Fettuccine
1 bunch fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
3/4 cup olive oil, or more if needed
6 cloves garlic, pressed salt and pepper to taste
1 pound dry fettuccine pasta
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 pound uncooked shrimp peeled, deveined, and tails removed
2 tablespoons seafood seasoning or to taste
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese or more if desired
1. Separate the asparagus tips from the rest of the cut pieces, and set the tips aside.
2. Heat 3/4 cup of olive oil over medium heat.
3. Cook and stir the garlic in the hot oil until it begins to turn brown, about 5
4. Stir in the cut pieces of asparagus (not the tips) and season with salt and pepper.
5. Cook and stir the asparagus until tender but still bright green, about 10 minutes, then add the asparagus tips. Cook and stir for 5 more minutes.
6. While the asparagus is cooking, fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat.
7. Once the water is boiling, stir in the fettuccine, and return to a boil.
8. Cook the pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through, but is still firm to the bite, about 8 minutes.
9. Drain well in a colander set in the sink, return to the pot, and drizzle 2 teaspoons of olive oil over the pasta.
10. Remove the asparagus from the skillet with a slotted spoon, leaving oil in a skillet, and set the asparagus aside.
11. Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels and place in the hot skillet over medium-high heat.
12. Sprinkle the shrimp with the seafood seasoning, and cook and stir the shrimp until they are pink and no longer translucent.
13. Return the asparagus to the skillet, and cook the shrimp and asparagus until thoroughly heated, 2 to 3 more minutes.
14. Stir the shrimp and asparagus into the cooked fettuccine, and toss with shredded Parmesan cheese.
15. The olive oil serves as the sauce, so add more as needed to generously coat the pasta and shrimp.
16 fresh asparagus spears
16 slices sandwich bread, crusts removed
1 (8 ounces) package cream cheese, softened
8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1. Place asparagus in a skillet with a small amount of water
2. Cook until crisp and tender, about 6-8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
3. Flatten bread with a rolling pin.
4. Combine the cream cheese, bacon and chives.
5. Spread 1 tablespoonful on each slice of bread.
6. Top with an asparagus spear. Roll up tightly.
7. Place seam-side down on a greased baking sheet.
8. Brush with butter and sprinkle with Parmesan
9. Cut roll-ups in half. Bake at 400 degrees F for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
Download your free PDF copy of these asparagus recipes.